Silent Beacon will provide another layer of support to our comprehensive services enabling survivors to get the immediate help they need to remain safe now and into the future.” -Quincy Inman, Development & Communications Manager at My Sister’s Place
ROCKVILLE, Md. (PRWEB) October 09, 2019
Washington, D.C.’s oldest domestic violence shelter My Sister’s Place, is adopting stealthy new technology that enables abuse victims to receive immediate help in life-threatening situations. Survivors will be given a FREE wearable panic-button device to alert their safety network of an emergency.
In homage to Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Silent Beacon will be donating wearable panic-button devices to every survivor at My Sister’s Place. The Sanctuary Plus emergency shelter and the RISE (Reaching Independence through Survivor Empowerment) Program help families fleeing from domestic violence move from crisis and homelessness to safety and stability.
“Everyone deserves dignity and safety in their relationships, but people at risk of intimate partner violence especially need tools and support,” said Silent Beacon founder and CEO Kenny Kelley. “Silent Beacon equips people to summon help, and we’re honored to serve victims and survivors by partnering with My Sister’s Place not only during Domestic Violence Awareness Month but throughout the year.”
Silent Beacon is the perfect way to empower at-risk individuals:
- One Press of a Button:
- Calls 911 or any other emergency contact of your choice
- Texts and emails your loved ones that you need help
- Shares your live GPS location with pre-programmed contacts
- Silent Mode: Prevents the attacker from knowing an emergency call has been placed. When in silent mode, the emergency contact can hear what is happening through Silent Beacon’s microphone, but the attacker will not be able to hear the emergency contact. This allows the victim to call for help without further enraging the perpetrator.
- Small & Easily Concealed: Often, the first thing an abuser does is separate a victim from their cell phone so they can’t call for help. That’s why there’s a need for an easily concealed panic-button to summon first responders and loved ones with one press.
- Every Second Counts: Dialing 911 from a cell phone can take up to 28 seconds. In an emergency, Silent Beacon allows users to call for help and alert loved ones in 1 second.
- Easily Connected & Customizable: Silent Beacon connects to smartphones, tablets and other compatible Bluetooth® devices, and can be customized to alert a victim’s case manager, emergency shelter and loved ones.
- No Monthly Fees: Because Silent Beacon is Bluetooth® compatible, the device has no monthly fees or added costs.
The collaboration between My Sister’s Place and Silent Beacon is instrumental in helping victims protect themselves. “At the root of all survivors of domestic violence needs, there lies one similar thread – the critical need for safety,” said Quincy Inman, My Sister’s Place’s Development and Communications Manager. “Silent Beacon will provide another layer of support to our comprehensive services enabling survivors to get the immediate help they need to remain safe now and into the future. I am incredibly grateful for the compassion of the leadership of Silent Beacon.”
Given the scope of the domestic violence problem, Silent Beacon’s technology would be helpful nationwide. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports:
- About 1 in 4 women and nearly 1 in 10 men have experienced contact sexual violence, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner during their lifetime and reported some form of IPV-related impact.
- Over 43 million women and 38 million men experienced psychological aggression by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
About Silent Beacon
Silent Beacon, LLC, was founded in 2013 with a vision of providing immediate assistance to those in need by enabling its users to instantly locate family members and loved ones requiring emergency assistance. Its 24/7 Customer Support Center is ready to answer questions, listen to feedback, and help customers get their device and associated app up and running. Visit http://www.silentbeacon.com.
About My Sister’s Place
My Sister’s Place (MSP) seeks to end domestic violence and empower survivors to live healthy, independent lives free from violence. For over 40 years, MSP has been an innovator in changing lives by providing DC’s first hotline and first domestic violence shelter, and most recently, first Batterer Intervention group. As DC’s oldest domestic violence shelter, we have served as a cornerstone of the District’s response to this pressing public health issue since 1979, and our impact on DC’s community remains as strong as ever. MSP is unique in offering a full continuum of care from emergency shelter through transitional-to-permanent housing including; clinical counseling, case management, and comprehensive services to empower survivors to recover and thrive. MSP also provides training, case consultation, and advocacy to engage communities to prevent violence and abuse. Visit http://www.mysistersplacedc.org.
Share article on social media or email: